Bundle up and head out the door. As cold weather rolls in, it’s time to check some trouble spots around the exterior of your house.
- Check your pipes and spigots. All water hoses should be disconnected from outdoor spigots. Add some pipe insulation to any exposed pipes. Drain any water from the pipes and cover your spigots.
- Inspect your garage doors and lubricate the tracks. Ensure all bolts are secured and check the door alignment.
- Remove ice and snow buildup from your driveway, sidewalks, and even your house number. Emergency responders may need to quickly identify your home. Clear or well-salted walkways will provide better safety to family and visitors.
- Replace any loose or rotten boards in your fence or gate. Remove rusty gate hardware and replace with new hardware.
- Check all extension cords and cables anchoring outdoor décor. Use the appropriate interior or exterior cables and position them out of regular walkways. Make sure the decorations and cables do not obscure sidewalks or driveways.
Head back inside for a cup of hot chocolate and a toasty fire. You have checked the exterior of your home for problem spots. Now, it’s time to enjoy the remainder of the season.